By Jane Morgan
In this anxiety-ridden time, I’m turning to cooking as a source of comfort, healing and grounding. I’m making things that are freezer-friendly, getting creative with pantry items, and using all the immunity-boosting ingredients I can get my hands on. These are great practices to incorporate into your cooking no matter what’s happening in the world, and these two recipes are a great place to start.
HONEY LEMON GINGER TEA
Whenever I feel an itch in my throat, I make some variation of this tea and sip on it 24/7. You can make a big batch of it, keep it in the fridge, and dilute it throughout the week for a little extra boost to your immune system. You can even steep a bag of echinacea tea in it for added immunity. It’s soothing, delicious, and has helped me through more sore throats than I can count.
- 1 3–4 inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 lemons (one thinly sliced, the other sliced in half and juiced)
- 4-6 cups water
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- Combine water, lemons and lemon juice, ginger and honey in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust by adding more ginger, lemon, honey or water to your preference.
- Keep the mixture in a jar in the fridge for up to one week, combining your preferred amount with hot water as you go.
FENNEL, CITRUS AND ROASTED CARROT SALAD
This salad is so easy to make, and tastes really elevated and delicious for such a simple preparation. It’s great to serve alongside crispy chicken thighs, grilled pork, or really anything you’re craving. It’s also loaded with citrus and fresh veggies, which is never a bad thing.
- 1 bunch of carrots, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bulb of fennel, cored and thinly sliced (reserve fennel fronds for topping the salad and stems to make a veggie or chicken stock!)
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced, seeds removed
- 1 cara cara or blood orange, peeled and sliced, seeds removed
- 2 cups chopped mixed herbs, such as mint, parsley, dill, or cilantro
- 1 handful arugula
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Pinch of chili flakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss carrots with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast until tender and starting to brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Combine fennel slices, grapefruit, orange, carrots, arugula, herbs and fennel fronds in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Add honey, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, and top with chili flakes if desired.