- Mr. Pyle, born Thomas Delmer Pyle, played drums with Lynyrd Skynyrd from 1974 to 1977 and again from 1987 to 1991. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the band in 2006.
- His early drumming influences included Ringo Starr, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and Joe Morello from the Dave Brubeck Quartet.
- The Artimus Pyle Band is more than just a tribute to Skynyrd, it’s a tribute to that band’s frontman Ronnie Van Zant. “If it wasn’t for Ronnie, no one would know my name,” Mr. Pyle says.
- Prior to joining Skynyrd, Mr. Pyle was a noted session drummer, playing on records by the Charlie Daniels Band and the Marshall Tucker Band.
- Along with Mr. Pyle, the Artimus Pyle Band includes Brad Durden on vocals and keyboards, Scott Raines and Jerry Lyda on guitars, and Dave Fowler on bass. Most of the guys have been playing since the 1980s.
- Mr. Pyle planned to publish the memoir Street Survivor: Keeping the Beat in Lynyrd Skynyrd in 2017, but a lawsuit has kept the book from being released “indefinitely.”
The Artimus Pyle Band performs Saturday, Jan. 25, at John Wehner’s Village Door Music Hall in Destin. Discover more at ArtimusPyleBand.com.