1. Machine Head at Vinyl Music Hall, Pensacola. With the band announcing they’ll call it quits very soon, I’m a bit saddened this was likely my first and last Machine Head concert. The next day, my voice was shot and everything hurt—always a sign that a show was a ton of fun.
2. Emerald Coast Theatre Company’s Northwest Florida Theatre Festival. A fantastic multi-day event showcasing local and regional talent, and an immersive experience that leaves a lasting impression.
3. Karuna 30a’s Hurricane Relief Event. I’m proud of what the event was able to accomplish, and beyond that, I spent the day with people I love, listening to music and eating amazing food. It’s an honor to be a part of the Karuna 30a team, watching them work hard to bring events like this to life. To paraphrase an over-quoted movie line, they make me want to be a better person.
4. Puddle of Mudd at Club LA, Destin. It’s no secret that I dang near live at Club LA, and a lot of great shows have come through this year. But this one made my heart happy. Frontman Wes Scantlin has been in the news for all the wrong reasons (last time I saw him, well, he wasn’t in a great place), but he is currently working hard to put all that behind him. And he shined at this concert.
5. Rock 4 a Cure at The Block, Fort Walton Beach. This annual event feels like going to a family reunion. Sure, it’s a cancer benefit, but it’s also a well-oiled machine built on good vibes and good people.
6. Kite Film Fest at Club LA, Destin. I’m the co-founder of this one, in case you didn’t know. We just wrapped our third year, and I’m in awe of our growth from a crazy little idea to something bigger than we could have imagined.
7. Molly King a/k/a The Thing of Evil. Editor Manson and I took a road trip to meet a famous dog and his even more famous owner.