1. Machine Head at Vinyl Music Hall, Pensacola. With the band announcing they’ll call it quits very soon, I’m a bit saddened this was likely my first and last Machine Head concert. The next day, my voice was shot and everything hurt—always a sign that a show was a ton of fun.
2. Emerald Coast Theatre Company’s Northwest Florida Theatre Festival. A fantastic multi-day event showcasing local and regional talent, and an immersive experience that leaves a lasting impression.
3. Karuna 30a’s Hurricane Relief Event. I’m proud of what the event was able to accomplish, and beyond that, I spent the day with people I love, listening to music and eating amazing food. It’s an honor to be a part of the Karuna 30a team, watching them work hard to bring events like this to life. To paraphrase an over-quoted movie line, they make me want to be a better person.
4. Puddle of Mudd at Club LA, Destin. It’s no secret that I dang near live at Club LA, and a lot of great shows have come through this year. But this one made my heart happy. Frontman Wes Scantlin has been in the news for all the wrong reasons (last time I saw him, well, he wasn’t in a great place), but he is currently working hard to put all that behind him. And he shined at this concert.
5. Rock 4 a Cure at The Block, Fort Walton Beach. This annual event feels like going to a family reunion. Sure, it’s a cancer benefit, but it’s also a well-oiled machine built on good vibes and good people.
6. Kite Film Fest at Club LA, Destin. I’m the co-founder of this one, in case you didn’t know. We just wrapped our third year, and I’m in awe of our growth from a crazy little idea to something bigger than we could have imagined.
7. Molly King a/k/a The Thing of Evil. Editor Manson and I took a road trip to meet a famous dog and his even more famous owner.
In Memoriam: Harold Destin
By Charles Morgan III Harold Destin died last week. He had lived in Destin for 64 years. Harold’s father, Chubby Destin, ran the Shooting Star for many years. His mother...
By the Numbers: 12Eleven
By Nikki Hedrick With an influx of regular gigs in the Destin area, 12Eleven have steadily made a name for themselves in the region. The average member age is only 22...
Fun Facts About the Harbor Boat Parade
By Chris Manson This year’s event, happening Sunday, Dec. 15, on the Destin Harbor, is the 33rd annual boat parade sponsored by the Destin History & Fishing Museum. It starts at...
G.I. Jade Tiki Bar & Bistro: Have a Round at Marker 21
By Bruce Collier G.I. Jade Tiki Bar & Bistro in Fort Walton Beach has been open just a few months. The restaurant sits on the harbor, at the Marker 21 Marina....
Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
Baxter’s Bar & Grille 605 James Lee Road Fort Walton Beach 850-812-6868 When: 3-6 PM and 10 PM-Midnight daily. Closed Mondays (for now). Drink Specials: $3 wells, $2 drafts. Camille’s at Crystal...
Adopt, Don’t Shop: Tigger
Lorraine Whetsone from PAWS in Fort Walton Beach writes: “Meet Tigger. This handsome Treeing Walker Coonhound mix has been at the Panhandle Animal Welfare Society since March. He needs to be home...