If you’ve ever watched TV or seen a movie, at least a few of the Pensacon guests have to be on your radar. From Power Rangers and Game of Thrones characters to the comic book artists that helped bring those icons into the world…these and so many more will be taking over Pensacola Feb. 23-25.
Pensacon isn’t just throwing a bunch of celebrities into the Bay Center and surrounding downtown venues. It’s about letting that geek flag fly in all its glory. No matter what fandom you enjoy, others are there enjoying the same thing, excited to talk about and share.
The events vary greatly. There are panels where you can ask questions to the celebs, a cosplay contest, a film fest, speed dating, gaming (both tabletop and video varieties), off-site parties, and more—you simply won’t be able to do it all. But you will have a mighty fine time trying to squeeze in as much as possible.
As a multi-time attendee, my biggest tip is to venture outside of the Bay Center to the downtown venues. Also, sit through panels of people you don’t know or with whom you may not be super familiar. Some of my most memorable panel experiences happened because I stumbled into a room at the right time.
PENSACON SURVIVAL TIPS
- Comfortable shoes, even for cosplayers. You’ll be walking a lot.
- An extra battery for your phone, because you likely don’t own a watch.
- People in costume (cosplayers) are still people. Treat them with respect.
- Talk to a volunteer if something is wrong. Pensacon prides itself on a trained staff, so if you feel unsafe or concerned at any time, speak up.
- Get a paper schedule. Sure, the app is nice, but phone service can be unreliable.
- If you get a professional photo op, read the rules, show up early, and pay early.
- Don’t skip the third floor of the Bay Center. It can take a little time to understand the layout, but it’s worth it to explore all three floors.
- Both the bar and the restaurant tucked away in the Pensacola Grand Hotel are lovely. If you need a little quiet, they make a great escape from the roar of the Bay Center.
- If there is a panel you have your heart set on, get there early—especially if you are using the free trolley system.
Lastly, if you want a hotel or VIP tickets for 2019, they usually go on sale pretty quickly at the close of the event.
Learn more at Pensacon.com.