As part of Art in Public Places, artist Joey McKenna will display her work at the Coastal Branch Library in Santa Rosa Beach throughout November. Library hours are 9 AM-6 PM Mondays and 9 AM-5 PM Tuesday through Saturday.
I am mostly a watercolorist and wanted to paint like my artist/architect father from childhood on. With only a few painting classes at age 10, I didn’t delve into classes and painting until my own children were raised.
My palette of life has had so many colors. Living and traveling in other countries, as my husband’s job took us to many countries, I learned to appreciate the diverse natural beauty and cultures of the world. I have been blessed to live on the Emerald Coast in Santa Rosa Beach, as well as in the craggy rocky mountains of Breckenridge, Colorado.
My passion for photography is never ending, as I look out for that nature shot that makes me smile and tells me I should paint it. With a glimpse of a possible great sunset behind my house on Oyster Lake, I can run to the beach to capture it, and I know that taking my own pictures means my painting is 100 percent mine.
My soul keeps telling me to look at those vibrant details and the beauty of nature that many never notice, like the seeds of the Sea Oats or the stamens of the white-flowered Florida Magnolia trees.
A member of the Cultural Arts Alliance, I won a merit award in 2013 for their “A-Plus Juried Art Exhibit.” I am also a member of an enlightening group, Women’s Art Network. I was a member of the Elkhart Indiana Art League and Museum of Contemporary Art. In Colorado, I am a member of Women of Watercolor, a Plein Air group whom I paint with on Tuesdays.
I have been in juried shows, and exhibited and sold paintings in the U.S. and Canada. I am still growing and discovering.
Discover more at www.joeymckennaart.com.
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Artist Joey McKenna Steps into Nature This Month at SoWal Library
- Call to Artists
- Adopt a Family for the Holidays
- Community Bank Invests $15,000 in NWF State College Students
- Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
- Caring and Sharing: Café Thirty-A’s Annual Christmas Charity Ball
- Hold the Dishwashing, Please… Thanksgiving Dining Out Options
- North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
- Overproof, Full Proof and Navy Strength Rums…and the Cocktails That Love Them
- Restaurant Guide
- Rosemary Beach Prohibition Repeal Wine Dinner Set for Dec. 7
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Hallmark!
- Local Film Screenings
- Reviews: Dafoe and Pattinson Shine in “Lighthouse,” Eddie Gets His Dolemite On
- Eric Paslay’s Favorite Live Tracks
- Live Music
- Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- The Record That Changed My Life: Al Alvarado
Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
Baxter’s Bar & Grille 605 James Lee Road Fort Walton Beach 850-812-6868 When: 3-6 PM and 10 PM-Midnight daily. Closed Mondays (for now). Drink Specials: $3 wells, $2 drafts. Camille’s at Crystal...
Harbor Docks Celebrates 25 Years of Thanksgiving Tradition
By Chris Manson Former Harbor Docks owner and Beachcomber contributing writer Charles Morgan credits longtime employee Ann Jones (a/k/a Miss Ann) with the idea of opening the restaurant on Thanksgiving Day....
North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
By Lauren Sage Reinlie Northwest Florida has a new spot to unwind and soak up all the beauty the area has to offer. Chef Jim Shirley’s North Beach Tortilla Co....
Upcoming Stage Shows
FRIDAY, NOV. 8-SATURDAY, NOV. 9 STAGE CRAFTERS’ “THE PAJAMA GAME” Fort Walton Beach Civic Auditorium, 7:30 PM StageCraftersFWB.com Tickets are $25. Cast includes Tim Bartley, Terry Carnathan, David Chancellor, Gabriella Dedmore, Azhia...
Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
The members of IMPACT 100 of Northwest Florida voted and announced recently the grant recipients for 2019, awarding five $101,600 grants. Representatives of each nonprofit organization named as a finalist were present,...
Beachside Worship Services
ALIVE CHAPEL Sundays – coffee fellowship, 9 AM; praise and worship, 9:30 AM; pastor’s message, 10 AM. Located at 12381 U.S. 98, Miramar Beach. www.theALIVECHAPEL.org. CORPUS CHRISTI CATHOLIC CHURCH Mass schedule (through Sept....