Timothy C. Winegard
The Mosquito – A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator
Historian and professor Timothy C. Winegard’s The Mosquito is appalling, though darkly amusing. His introduction includes a statistics-based assertion that half of all the humans that ever lived suffered “mosquito-inflicted deaths.” As “apex predator,” the insect annually outdistances all others—from people to sharks—at man-killing.
Starting in prehistory, he follows the buzzing reaper from Africa to Europe and the East, where it played a principal role in warfare, commerce and exploration, finding connections to both good (medical research and sanitation) and evil—a major reason behind African slavery was the slaves’ genetic resistance to mosquito-borne diseases.
– Bruce Collier
The Escape Room
St. Martin’s Press
In the suspenser of the summer—or whatever time of year you happen to catch up with it—team building is taken to a whole ‘nother level as four Wall Street types find themselves stuck on an elevator under the assumption that it’s one of those, well, you know… To tell you any more would be criminal, so read it immediately.
– Chris Manson
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Artist Joey McKenna Steps into Nature This Month at SoWal Library
- Call to Artists
- Adopt a Family for the Holidays
- Community Bank Invests $15,000 in NWF State College Students
- Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
- Caring and Sharing: Café Thirty-A’s Annual Christmas Charity Ball
- Hold the Dishwashing, Please… Thanksgiving Dining Out Options
- North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
- Overproof, Full Proof and Navy Strength Rums…and the Cocktails That Love Them
- Restaurant Guide
- Rosemary Beach Prohibition Repeal Wine Dinner Set for Dec. 7
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Hallmark!
- Local Film Screenings
- Reviews: Dafoe and Pattinson Shine in “Lighthouse,” Eddie Gets His Dolemite On
- Eric Paslay’s Favorite Live Tracks
- Live Music
- Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- The Record That Changed My Life: Al Alvarado