Photos by Jim Clark, Words by Bill Herrin
If you walk into Graffiti & The Funky Blues Shack on a Monday night, it may be a bit more sedate than the rest of the week…but not on Monday, May 20. The place was crawling with a “who’s who” of locals that were present to support and encourage Beachcomber Editor Chris Manson.
After a recent episode with his heart, a subsequent stay at the hospital, and then landing on his feet like a cat, Mr. Manson’s throwdown was a celebration of life as much as it was a benefit. There was more hand shaking, hugging and fist-bumping going on than a church picnic…and Chris was the “hub” of this huge-spoked wheel of fun.
Chris’ friends, local artists and musicians were well represented, as Chris is a huge music fan and patron of the arts. And the musical lineup was amazing. Emceed by Aimee Shaffer, the music started (and stayed) pumping all evening long. The lineup included Donnie Morgan performing solo, the duo Marc Harris and JAB Wilson (performing as The 78s), the Neil Young tribute band Rust and Gold, Lucky Strike Retros, and Finga FAYA. Mr. Manson even graced the stage to belt out a Lou Reed tune with The 78s, and he kicked it!
Funds were raised through tips, donations, 20 percent of the proceeds from Funky Blues Shack’s sales that night, and a silent auction.
Silent auction donations included a Fender Stratocaster from Leitz Music; fine wine, recording and cafe gifts from Enlightened Studios; a luxurious basket by The Soap Peddler; a $50 gift certificate from Shalimar’s Twisted Grape Café and Wine Bar; a $150 Paddle Tribe gift certificate; a t-shirt and $100 gift card from Graffiti & The Funky Blues Shack; earrings by Meghan Browne Style; and photography artwork by Jim Clark.
A heartfelt thanks to those who came out to support this great event for Chris. The attendees showed up because they’re thankful for all of Chris’ support to the local community through the years. Here’s to music, art, friends…and an evening that we’ll not soon forget.
Mr. Manson, your community needs and loves you. Stick around.
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Artist Joey McKenna Steps into Nature This Month at SoWal Library
- Call to Artists
- Adopt a Family for the Holidays
- Community Bank Invests $15,000 in NWF State College Students
- Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
- Caring and Sharing: Café Thirty-A’s Annual Christmas Charity Ball
- Hold the Dishwashing, Please… Thanksgiving Dining Out Options
- North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
- Overproof, Full Proof and Navy Strength Rums…and the Cocktails That Love Them
- Restaurant Guide
- Rosemary Beach Prohibition Repeal Wine Dinner Set for Dec. 7
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Hallmark!
- Local Film Screenings
- Reviews: Dafoe and Pattinson Shine in “Lighthouse,” Eddie Gets His Dolemite On
- Eric Paslay’s Favorite Live Tracks
- Live Music
- Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- The Record That Changed My Life: Al Alvarado