In no particular order…
- The PAWS “On the Throttle” Poker Run. This biker-supported fundraiser, held every mid-March, brings together bikers who travel to several bars and restaurants in Okaloosa and Walton counties to “play” a poker hand for fun and possible awards at the final destination, The Edge in Niceville. There, a silent auction, food and beverages and musical entertainment keep the crowd’s interest until I emcee the final announcements and thank yous from the Panhandle Animal Welfare Society. A really fun gig to emcee, plus I like to pet the doggies who get to ride securely in their owners’ baskets and sidecars!
- The S.O.C.K.S. (Save Our Cats and Kittens) Annual Dinner. Our local no-kill cat shelter’s major fundraiser in February was a black-tie event (“Top Hats And Tails”)—a lovely evening indeed. The S.O.C.K.S. gala always features a guest speaker, along with a dinner, silent auction, live entertainment, and camaraderie amongst the feline fanciers. I enjoy seeing lots of friends.
- Destin Pooch Palooza. The fourth annual event was held in March, with a stellar turnout of dogs and their humans enjoying a day of entertainment, demos, food, vendors, rescue groups, a silent auction and more at the Destin Dog Park. Three of my fave events are the Blessing of the Animals, the Doxie/Small Dog Races put on by the Rescued Rescuers of the Emerald Coast, and the K9 demo by the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office. This furry festival benefits the Destin Dog Park, a community treasure. Also a fun event to emcee…so many dogs to love on throughout the day.
- A New Leash on Love. This year’s event will be held Nov. 2 at the Bagdad Mill Site Park in Santa Rosa County. Like most other animal-centric festivals, New Leash has demos, displays, rescue groups, food, and the Doxie/Small Dog Races. The most important message New Leash imparts is that the nonprofit A Hope For Santa Rosa County helps with low-cost spaying and neutering and is trying to build a permanent low-cost facility in the county.
- Sip N Shop. One of Alaqua Animal Refuge’s largest fundraiser is held every April at Emeril’s Coastal Italian restaurant. Although I don’t emcee this event (it doesn’t need one!), I wanted to mention it, as it’s really a lovely late morning/early afternoon gathering in support of Walton County’s premier animal sanctuary. Fabulous wines, a silent auction, an exquisite lunch, and private shopping make for a fun time.
Longtime audio/on-air talent and professional in-home pet sitter Aimee Shaffer is thrilled to volunteer as emcee at many Beachcomberland animal events. Contact her at AimeesAnimalMagnetism.com or call 850-368-5685.
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Call to Artists
- Walking in the Footsteps of Great Artists
- A Slug of Ice and Fire: Russian Vodka
- Restaurant Guide
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours in Beachcomberland
#itsgooderonguana – A Hurricane Dorian Relief Trip Report
By Eddie Morgan Monday, September 23 – Wednesday, September 25 After weeks of planning, shopping for supplies and preparing the Papi for travel, Kevin Moak, Cole Wyatt and I departed Harbor...
Beachcomber Profiles* – Kevin Carson
HOMETOWN: From Memphis, Tennessee, but moved to Santa Rosa Beach six months ago. I’m calling my move to Santa Rosa Beach my retirement gig! PROFESSION: Working musician. AGE: Almost grown. RECENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Recently...
Angel the Cat and JoJo the Bird
Submitted by Dan Fugate and Edward McGrath, Blues Angel Music, Pensacola “JoJo, the blue and gold macaw, is 22 years old and has been with us since the early days,” Mr. Fugate...
Shelter House Calls on Community for Food Pantry Support
In observance of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Shelter House is hosting a community grocery drive to help stock the pantry for their emergency shelter. The home has been at or near capacity...
A Slug of Ice and Fire: Russian Vodka
By Bruce Collier As someone who prizes full-flavored spirits like whiskey and gin, I sometimes wonder what all the fuss is about vodka. As Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 27, Sec....
Art Classes & Workshops
ARTS AND DESIGN SOCIETY (ADSO) Classes at the Art Center, Fort Walton Beach. More info at artsdesignsociety.org. Mondays and Wednesdays. Clay and Pottery Open Studio, 9 AM-noon both days and 6:30-9 PM...