In no particular order…
- The PAWS “On the Throttle” Poker Run. This biker-supported fundraiser, held every mid-March, brings together bikers who travel to several bars and restaurants in Okaloosa and Walton counties to “play” a poker hand for fun and possible awards at the final destination, The Edge in Niceville. There, a silent auction, food and beverages and musical entertainment keep the crowd’s interest until I emcee the final announcements and thank yous from the Panhandle Animal Welfare Society. A really fun gig to emcee, plus I like to pet the doggies who get to ride securely in their owners’ baskets and sidecars!
- The S.O.C.K.S. (Save Our Cats and Kittens) Annual Dinner. Our local no-kill cat shelter’s major fundraiser in February was a black-tie event (“Top Hats And Tails”)—a lovely evening indeed. The S.O.C.K.S. gala always features a guest speaker, along with a dinner, silent auction, live entertainment, and camaraderie amongst the feline fanciers. I enjoy seeing lots of friends.
- Destin Pooch Palooza. The fourth annual event was held in March, with a stellar turnout of dogs and their humans enjoying a day of entertainment, demos, food, vendors, rescue groups, a silent auction and more at the Destin Dog Park. Three of my fave events are the Blessing of the Animals, the Doxie/Small Dog Races put on by the Rescued Rescuers of the Emerald Coast, and the K9 demo by the Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office. This furry festival benefits the Destin Dog Park, a community treasure. Also a fun event to emcee…so many dogs to love on throughout the day.
- A New Leash on Love. This year’s event will be held Nov. 2 at the Bagdad Mill Site Park in Santa Rosa County. Like most other animal-centric festivals, New Leash has demos, displays, rescue groups, food, and the Doxie/Small Dog Races. The most important message New Leash imparts is that the nonprofit A Hope For Santa Rosa County helps with low-cost spaying and neutering and is trying to build a permanent low-cost facility in the county.
- Sip N Shop. One of Alaqua Animal Refuge’s largest fundraiser is held every April at Emeril’s Coastal Italian restaurant. Although I don’t emcee this event (it doesn’t need one!), I wanted to mention it, as it’s really a lovely late morning/early afternoon gathering in support of Walton County’s premier animal sanctuary. Fabulous wines, a silent auction, an exquisite lunch, and private shopping make for a fun time.
Longtime audio/on-air talent and professional in-home pet sitter Aimee Shaffer is thrilled to volunteer as emcee at many Beachcomberland animal events. Contact her at AimeesAnimalMagnetism.com or call 850-368-5685.
- Restaurant Guide
- Vermouth – Out of the Liquor Closet and Into Your Glass
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours in Beachcomberland
- Kite Film Fest Call for Submissions
- Local Film Screenings
- Review: “Stories” Falls Short on Grownup Scares
- Beachcomber Music Awards #11 Set for Monday, Aug. 26… Call in Sick Tuesday, Aug. 27!
- Live Music
- Remembering Hans McMinamin
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- Culinary Arts Greenhouse Honors Kay Litke
- Pat Carlyle Scholarship Established for Children’s Advocacy Center
Hurricane Michael Over Six Months Later: Robert’s Story
By Carrie Hunter A large group of people wait outside of Innovative Charities in Jackson County an hour before the food pantry opens. Rules for hurricane relief supplies and how to register...
Don’t Mess with Beachcomber
Recently, someone on Twitter called this publication “un-American” and said some really terrible things about us. And about you, loyal readers. His body was later found in a Tom Thumb parking...
Wolf Preserve Commemorates Two Decades
Seacrest Wolf Preserve celebrates their 20th year with a Full Moon Festival event Friday, Aug. 16. The overnight camping event quickly sold out, but they have a constant stream of events and...
Art Classes & Workshops
ARTS AND DESIGN SOCIETY (ADSO) Classes at the Art Center, Fort Walton Beach. More info at artsdesignsociety.org. Mondays and Wednesdays. Clay and Pottery Open Studio, 9 AM-noon both days and 6:30-9 PM Mondays. Beginners...
Where to Spend Your Happy Hours in Beachcomberland
Baxter’s Bar & Grille 605 James Lee Road Fort Walton Beach 850-812-6868 When: 3-6 PM and 10 PM-Midnight daily. Drink Specials: $3 wells, $2 drafts. Camille’s at Crystal Beach 2931 Scenic Highway...
Beachcomber Music Awards #11 Set for Monday, Aug. 26… Call in Sick Tuesday, Aug. 27!
In case you’ve been living on Mars for the last few months, a friendly reminder that Beachcomber Music Awards Chapter 11 will take place Monday, Aug. 26, at Al’s Beach Club &...