Ritz & Escoffier – The Hotelier, the Chef and the Rise of the Leisure Class
Clarkson Potter Publishers
Cesar Ritz was a Swiss peasant, Auguste Escoffier a working class French kid. Both rose to make their names synonymous with ultimate luxury, Ritz as a hotelier and Escoffier as an internationally celebrated chef. Luke Barr’s Ritz & Escoffier is a fast-paced account of their partnership, and how they pretty much invented the leisure hospitality industry. Both were gifted with Herculean work habits, dazzling salesmanship, and a talent for cultivating wealthy investors. In their own distinctive way, they also cleared the path for ordinary folk to enjoy the same treatment as royals—for a price, and the proper clothes.
– Bruce Collier
The Oracle Year
The Oracle Year begins when musician Will Dando wakes up one morning with 108 predictions about the future. The predictions begin coming true, even when he attempts to change them and sometimes as a result of his attempts. Realizing his newfound power, he and a close friend create a website to monetize his knowledge about the future. His online prophecies quickly make him the most high profile—and most wanted—man in the world.
This fast-paced adventure book takes the reader on Dando’s journey to evade capture, protect the people he loves, and attempt to save the world. If I had the time, I could have read this book in one sitting. If you liked the fast pace and psychological twists and turns of Dark Matter by Blake Crouch, you’ll love this one.
– Marilu Morgan
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Artist Joey McKenna Steps into Nature This Month at SoWal Library
- Call to Artists
- Adopt a Family for the Holidays
- Community Bank Invests $15,000 in NWF State College Students
- Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
- Caring and Sharing: Café Thirty-A’s Annual Christmas Charity Ball
- Hold the Dishwashing, Please… Thanksgiving Dining Out Options
- North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
- Overproof, Full Proof and Navy Strength Rums…and the Cocktails That Love Them
- Restaurant Guide
- Rosemary Beach Prohibition Repeal Wine Dinner Set for Dec. 7
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Hallmark!
- Local Film Screenings
- Reviews: Dafoe and Pattinson Shine in “Lighthouse,” Eddie Gets His Dolemite On
- Eric Paslay’s Favorite Live Tracks
- Live Music
- Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- The Record That Changed My Life: Al Alvarado
Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
Baxter’s Bar & Grille 605 James Lee Road Fort Walton Beach 850-812-6868 When: 3-6 PM and 10 PM-Midnight daily. Closed Mondays (for now). Drink Specials: $3 wells, $2 drafts. Camille’s at Crystal...
Harbor Docks Celebrates 25 Years of Thanksgiving Tradition
By Chris Manson Former Harbor Docks owner and Beachcomber contributing writer Charles Morgan credits longtime employee Ann Jones (a/k/a Miss Ann) with the idea of opening the restaurant on Thanksgiving Day....
North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
By Lauren Sage Reinlie Northwest Florida has a new spot to unwind and soak up all the beauty the area has to offer. Chef Jim Shirley’s North Beach Tortilla Co....
Upcoming Stage Shows
FRIDAY, NOV. 8-SATURDAY, NOV. 9 STAGE CRAFTERS’ “THE PAJAMA GAME” Fort Walton Beach Civic Auditorium, 7:30 PM StageCraftersFWB.com Tickets are $25. Cast includes Tim Bartley, Terry Carnathan, David Chancellor, Gabriella Dedmore, Azhia...
Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
The members of IMPACT 100 of Northwest Florida voted and announced recently the grant recipients for 2019, awarding five $101,600 grants. Representatives of each nonprofit organization named as a finalist were present,...
Beachside Worship Services
ALIVE CHAPEL Sundays – coffee fellowship, 9 AM; praise and worship, 9:30 AM; pastor’s message, 10 AM. Located at 12381 U.S. 98, Miramar Beach. www.theALIVECHAPEL.org. CORPUS CHRISTI CATHOLIC CHURCH Mass schedule (through Sept....