HOME: Rayne, Louisiana, 14 miles west of Lafayette. Celeste and I moved to Santa Rosa Beach in 1991.
AGE: I turned 66 in August. I’m eligible for Social Security now. It’s a weird feeling.
HOBBIES: Bicycle riding. I have an electric bike that I ride every day. Celeste and I love to snorkel and spend time in the water. In the winter, we ride off road in the forest.
RECENT ACCOMPLISHMENTS: I moved my recording equipment and enclosed the back porch, expanded my recording studio. We did Max McCann’s CD there (30A Amigos), I’m working with Roy Brown now, and I have some smaller projects going on. It’s a much bigger room with modern equipment.
In late August, I released a new album, Deep Space, available from CD Baby, iTunes and Amazon. Late one night on a TV news program, one of the guests said, “So what if we destroy the planet? We can leave the earth.” What a bizarre thought. That was the inspiration for Deep Space. I started writing songs with a lot of emotion behind them. It’s an all-instrumental album, so the trick was to make the music very emotional.
There’s a lot of tension in some of the songs, and some of the songs are very laid back and relaxing—like being weightless in space. I wanted a lot of push and pull in the songs.
Max McCann played guitar on most of the songs. His playing is stellar…sorry. Unintended!
PROFILE: I was working a desk job in the early ‘70s, and a friend wanted to start a band. He had a lot of original songs, so I thought he could make a career of it. I was in several bands in Louisiana that played originals. The most important was Bas Clas, who I joined in 1979. The Picou brothers formed the band, and we’re still together. In fact, I just listened to them on a Lafayette radio station this morning. We were inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of Fame in 2013, and we’re working on our fourth studio album now.
QUOTE: “Enjoy but don’t destroy.” – Celeste Cobena
FAVORITE MAGAZINE: Beachcomber!
* Inspired by the late, great Creem magazine.
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Call to Artists
- MKAF Outreach Makes History with Two-Week Artist Residency Program
- Author and Filmmaker Junger Takes Center Stage at NWF Reads
- Book Clubs
- Poetry Contest Winners Announced
- Recommended Reading
- Corner Wine Bar Offers Medley of Contrasting Tastes, Textures
- Restaurant Guide
- Sandestin Wine Festival – Come for the Wine, Stay for the Fun
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours in Beachcomberland
- A Million Dollar Lineup for Bands of 30A’s April 14 Event
- Jazz on the Lawn at Destin Library with BMA Winner Cheryl Jones
- Live Music
- Stranger Things…
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- Towne: The Records That Changed Our Lives
- VS. – The Battle of Record Store Day 2019
- Woody Still Matters
- Gumbo Fest Benefits Sandestin Kids
- NWF State College Part 1 – Big Wins for Marketing and PR Team
- NWF State College Part 2 – Collegiate High Schoolers Dominate at Math Bowl