The Defiant Ones
HBO/HBO Now/HBO Go
This four-part documentary provides the backstory on Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, the record producers who famously joined forces on the Beats headphones that were eventually sold to Apple for a record-breaking $3 billion. Eschewing longwinded evolution, the documentary focuses on the two men’s histories, detailing the gangsta
rap days of the 1990s and the incredibly intense (and lethal) rivalry between East and West Coast rappers. Likewise, it brings to light Iovine’s amazing knack for discovering talent rather than making it. Besides Iovine and gentle giant Dre, The Defiant Ones’ in-depth interviews include an interesting assortment of rap and rock megastars—Snoop Dogg, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem, Bono, Trent Reznor, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Nicks and Gwen Stefani. A long story to be sure, but well worth watching from beginning to end.
– Joni Williams
The Incredible Jessica James
Written and directed by James C. Strouse, this charming and moving romantic comedy sees Jessica (Jessica Williams), a theater teacher and playwright, navigating her life post-breakup in New York City. She gets set up on a date with Boone (Chris O’Dowd), a recent divorcée, and they come to bond over the messiness of post-breakup actions and feelings. It’s a movie that provides a realistic take with depth and comedy on love in the digital age, career frustrations and successes, and what true love and support can foster.
– Jane Morgan
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Artist Joey McKenna Steps into Nature This Month at SoWal Library
- Call to Artists
- Adopt a Family for the Holidays
- Community Bank Invests $15,000 in NWF State College Students
- Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
- Caring and Sharing: Café Thirty-A’s Annual Christmas Charity Ball
- Hold the Dishwashing, Please… Thanksgiving Dining Out Options
- North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
- Overproof, Full Proof and Navy Strength Rums…and the Cocktails That Love Them
- Restaurant Guide
- Rosemary Beach Prohibition Repeal Wine Dinner Set for Dec. 7
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Hallmark!
- Local Film Screenings
- Reviews: Dafoe and Pattinson Shine in “Lighthouse,” Eddie Gets His Dolemite On
- Eric Paslay’s Favorite Live Tracks
- Live Music
- Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- The Record That Changed My Life: Al Alvarado
Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
Baxter’s Bar & Grille 605 James Lee Road Fort Walton Beach 850-812-6868 When: 3-6 PM and 10 PM-Midnight daily. Closed Mondays (for now). Drink Specials: $3 wells, $2 drafts. Camille’s at Crystal...
Harbor Docks Celebrates 25 Years of Thanksgiving Tradition
By Chris Manson Former Harbor Docks owner and Beachcomber contributing writer Charles Morgan credits longtime employee Ann Jones (a/k/a Miss Ann) with the idea of opening the restaurant on Thanksgiving Day....
North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
By Lauren Sage Reinlie Northwest Florida has a new spot to unwind and soak up all the beauty the area has to offer. Chef Jim Shirley’s North Beach Tortilla Co....
Upcoming Stage Shows
FRIDAY, NOV. 8-SATURDAY, NOV. 9 STAGE CRAFTERS’ “THE PAJAMA GAME” Fort Walton Beach Civic Auditorium, 7:30 PM StageCraftersFWB.com Tickets are $25. Cast includes Tim Bartley, Terry Carnathan, David Chancellor, Gabriella Dedmore, Azhia...
Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
By Nikki Hedrick Not many comedians reach household name status. Gallagher, by his account, has logged over 4,000 shows and over a dozen comedy TV specials, and has only been slightly...
Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
The members of IMPACT 100 of Northwest Florida voted and announced recently the grant recipients for 2019, awarding five $101,600 grants. Representatives of each nonprofit organization named as a finalist were present,...