You’d think Chicago native Porter would be out of place at Landshark’s with all the Green Bay Packers décor, but he doesn’t say anything about being a Bears fan. Or a Cubs fan, for that matter—it’s the Blackhawks and the Sox for this guy, who clarifies he’s from the South Side, which might as well be another country.
He’s been on the Emerald Coast for a little over a year and was drawn to the area by the beaches and the weather. Although during the time of Hermine, he found himself asking, “What’s a hurricane?”
Porter bartends and cooks, and can pretty much do anything else here. Landshark’s honcho Brian Hassman says of Porter: “He’s always on time, and he never stops working. He’s always helping out somewhere.”
Popular drinks here include Crown and Coke (Even when I’m not around?), strawberry and kiwi Jesters, and the Bloody Brian, the latter complete with pork rinds and Hassman’s infamous hot sauce. Porter’s beverages of choice include Corona, Jager bombs, and one I’m not familiar with, the Irish Car Bomb. “Every bar in Chicago has it,” he says, explaining it’s a mix of Guinness, Jameson’s and Bailey’s and “tastes like coffee.”
A former gun trainer in Chicago, Porter likes to spend his down time at the shooting range, specifically the one in DeFuniak Springs where you can use your high-powered rifles. A reminder to tip him well, and don’t piss him off.
– Chris Manson
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Call to Artists
- MKAF Outreach Makes History with Two-Week Artist Residency Program
- Author and Filmmaker Junger Takes Center Stage at NWF Reads
- Book Clubs
- Poetry Contest Winners Announced
- Recommended Reading
- Corner Wine Bar Offers Medley of Contrasting Tastes, Textures
- Restaurant Guide
- Sandestin Wine Festival – Come for the Wine, Stay for the Fun
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours in Beachcomberland
- A Million Dollar Lineup for Bands of 30A’s April 14 Event
- Jazz on the Lawn at Destin Library with BMA Winner Cheryl Jones
- Live Music
- Stranger Things…
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- Towne: The Records That Changed Our Lives
- VS. – The Battle of Record Store Day 2019
- Woody Still Matters
- Gumbo Fest Benefits Sandestin Kids
- NWF State College Part 1 – Big Wins for Marketing and PR Team
- NWF State College Part 2 – Collegiate High Schoolers Dominate at Math Bowl
It’s Not Augusta National
By Charles Morgan III The beach that runs the length of the Panhandle of Florida was once known for its soft, snow-white sand. It is now getting recognition for the threatening...
The music-loving portion of the Beachcomber community—most of us, I’d say—got some devastating news early in the week when we learned that the talented young vocalist Buddy Brumit died in an automobile...
Towne: The Records That Changed Our Lives
Jon Decious: While there must be at least 100 records that have changed my life, looking back I think Garth Brooks’ Ropin’ the Wind might be the one responsible (to blame) for...
Thursday, April 11 AJ’S, Destin WILL & LINDA, 4-8 PM (Bimini Stage) CHASING JAYMIE, 6-10 PM (Tiki Stage) REDSHIRT FRESHMAN (Bimini Stage) AJ’S ON THE BAYOU, Fort Walton Beach CHRIS HAYES, 5-9 PM AL’S BEACH...
MKAF Outreach Makes History with Two-Week Artist Residency Program
Recently, the Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation (MKAF) Community Outreach impacted 5,700 children in Okaloosa and Walton counties. The original touring productions of The Snow Queen and The Reluctant Dragon by The Atlantic...
Corner Wine Bar Offers Medley of Contrasting Tastes, Textures
I’ve been a fan of Vin’tij since it opened more than 20 years ago in Miramar Beach. In case you haven’t been for a while, they’ve moved from their more modest location...