You’d think Chicago native Porter would be out of place at Landshark’s with all the Green Bay Packers décor, but he doesn’t say anything about being a Bears fan. Or a Cubs fan, for that matter—it’s the Blackhawks and the Sox for this guy, who clarifies he’s from the South Side, which might as well be another country.
He’s been on the Emerald Coast for a little over a year and was drawn to the area by the beaches and the weather. Although during the time of Hermine, he found himself asking, “What’s a hurricane?”
Porter bartends and cooks, and can pretty much do anything else here. Landshark’s honcho Brian Hassman says of Porter: “He’s always on time, and he never stops working. He’s always helping out somewhere.”
Popular drinks here include Crown and Coke (Even when I’m not around?), strawberry and kiwi Jesters, and the Bloody Brian, the latter complete with pork rinds and Hassman’s infamous hot sauce. Porter’s beverages of choice include Corona, Jager bombs, and one I’m not familiar with, the Irish Car Bomb. “Every bar in Chicago has it,” he says, explaining it’s a mix of Guinness, Jameson’s and Bailey’s and “tastes like coffee.”
A former gun trainer in Chicago, Porter likes to spend his down time at the shooting range, specifically the one in DeFuniak Springs where you can use your high-powered rifles. A reminder to tip him well, and don’t piss him off.
– Chris Manson
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Artist Joey McKenna Steps into Nature This Month at SoWal Library
- Call to Artists
- Adopt a Family for the Holidays
- Community Bank Invests $15,000 in NWF State College Students
- Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
- Caring and Sharing: Café Thirty-A’s Annual Christmas Charity Ball
- Hold the Dishwashing, Please… Thanksgiving Dining Out Options
- North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
- Overproof, Full Proof and Navy Strength Rums…and the Cocktails That Love Them
- Restaurant Guide
- Rosemary Beach Prohibition Repeal Wine Dinner Set for Dec. 7
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Hallmark!
- Local Film Screenings
- Reviews: Dafoe and Pattinson Shine in “Lighthouse,” Eddie Gets His Dolemite On
- Eric Paslay’s Favorite Live Tracks
- Live Music
- Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- The Record That Changed My Life: Al Alvarado
Harbor Docks Celebrates 25 Years of Thanksgiving Tradition
By Chris Manson Former Harbor Docks owner and Beachcomber contributing writer Charles Morgan credits longtime employee Ann Jones (a/k/a Miss Ann) with the idea of opening the restaurant on Thanksgiving Day....
Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
Baxter’s Bar & Grille 605 James Lee Road Fort Walton Beach 850-812-6868 When: 3-6 PM and 10 PM-Midnight daily. Closed Mondays (for now). Drink Specials: $3 wells, $2 drafts. Camille’s at Crystal...
North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
By Lauren Sage Reinlie Northwest Florida has a new spot to unwind and soak up all the beauty the area has to offer. Chef Jim Shirley’s North Beach Tortilla Co....
Upcoming Stage Shows
FRIDAY, NOV. 8-SATURDAY, NOV. 9 STAGE CRAFTERS’ “THE PAJAMA GAME” Fort Walton Beach Civic Auditorium, 7:30 PM StageCraftersFWB.com Tickets are $25. Cast includes Tim Bartley, Terry Carnathan, David Chancellor, Gabriella Dedmore, Azhia...
Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
The members of IMPACT 100 of Northwest Florida voted and announced recently the grant recipients for 2019, awarding five $101,600 grants. Representatives of each nonprofit organization named as a finalist were present,...
Beachside Worship Services
ALIVE CHAPEL Sundays – coffee fellowship, 9 AM; praise and worship, 9:30 AM; pastor’s message, 10 AM. Located at 12381 U.S. 98, Miramar Beach. www.theALIVECHAPEL.org. CORPUS CHRISTI CATHOLIC CHURCH Mass schedule (through Sept....