September’s Third Annual Eggs on the Beach cooking competition, held at Seagrove Beach, bestowed prizes on 10 teams, including Judges’ Award winners, People’s Choice winners, and People’s Choice Nonprofit winners.
Presented by Bay Breeze Patio, the event required competitors to cook on the Big Green Egg smoker-grill. Earning the top honors, Team InDyne, Snorri’s Tandoori for the Air Commando Association and Son of a Saint received first place in their categories.
“We are overwhelmed by the community support and participation in the third annual EggFest,” says Susan Kiley, co-owner of Bay Breeze Patio and co-founder of Eggs on the Beach event. “The event was a great success due to our incredible sponsors, passionate cook teams, army of volunteers and the hungry tasters who came out to enjoy the event and support two great local causes.“
More than 30 cook teams competed, and first place in the People’s Choice category went to Team InDyne, who prepared grilled oysters with an original sauce. They also won a Big Green Egg of their own.
The winning nonprofit team, Snorri’s Tandoori, earned a $2,000 donation for the Air Commando Association. The team prepared a tandoori dish, complemented by a palate-cleansing watermelon shooter.
The Grand Judges’ Award went to Son of a Saint, who presented a unique recipe that featured a bacon-wrapped date. Celebrity judges for the event included Lucy Buffett of LuLu’s Destin, Tim Creehan of the Cuvee restaurants, 30aeats.com founder Susan Benton, and KCBS certified barbecue judge Pat Embree.
Proceeds from Eggs on the Beach benefit local nonprofits Food for Thought and Fisher House of the Emerald Coast. The next EggFest is set for Sept. 30, 2017.
– Tracy Louthain
- Art Classes & Workshops
- Art Events
- Art Galleries
- Artist Joey McKenna Steps into Nature This Month at SoWal Library
- Call to Artists
- Adopt a Family for the Holidays
- Community Bank Invests $15,000 in NWF State College Students
- Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
- Caring and Sharing: Café Thirty-A’s Annual Christmas Charity Ball
- Hold the Dishwashing, Please… Thanksgiving Dining Out Options
- North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
- Overproof, Full Proof and Navy Strength Rums…and the Cocktails That Love Them
- Restaurant Guide
- Rosemary Beach Prohibition Repeal Wine Dinner Set for Dec. 7
- Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
- It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Hallmark!
- Local Film Screenings
- Reviews: Dafoe and Pattinson Shine in “Lighthouse,” Eddie Gets His Dolemite On
- Eric Paslay’s Favorite Live Tracks
- Live Music
- Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
- The Pauseandplay.com Record Roundup
- The Record That Changed My Life: Al Alvarado
Where to Spend Your Happy Hours
Baxter’s Bar & Grille 605 James Lee Road Fort Walton Beach 850-812-6868 When: 3-6 PM and 10 PM-Midnight daily. Closed Mondays (for now). Drink Specials: $3 wells, $2 drafts. Camille’s at Crystal...
Harbor Docks Celebrates 25 Years of Thanksgiving Tradition
By Chris Manson Former Harbor Docks owner and Beachcomber contributing writer Charles Morgan credits longtime employee Ann Jones (a/k/a Miss Ann) with the idea of opening the restaurant on Thanksgiving Day....
North Beach Tortilla Co. Offers Sand and Sunsets in Santa Rosa Beach
By Lauren Sage Reinlie Northwest Florida has a new spot to unwind and soak up all the beauty the area has to offer. Chef Jim Shirley’s North Beach Tortilla Co....
Upcoming Stage Shows
FRIDAY, NOV. 8-SATURDAY, NOV. 9 STAGE CRAFTERS’ “THE PAJAMA GAME” Fort Walton Beach Civic Auditorium, 7:30 PM StageCraftersFWB.com Tickets are $25. Cast includes Tim Bartley, Terry Carnathan, David Chancellor, Gabriella Dedmore, Azhia...
Rock Stars of Comedy… Gallagher Is Coming to Town
By Nikki Hedrick Not many comedians reach household name status. Gallagher, by his account, has logged over 4,000 shows and over a dozen comedy TV specials, and has only been slightly...
Making an Impact: Over $500K Awarded to Local Nonprofits
The members of IMPACT 100 of Northwest Florida voted and announced recently the grant recipients for 2019, awarding five $101,600 grants. Representatives of each nonprofit organization named as a finalist were present,...